ECO, GREEN, ETHICAL AND SUSTAINABLE FASHION? WHAT'S UP WITH THAT?

What is eco fashion? The first thing that comes to mind are eco textiles made of organic cotton, bamboo fibers, hemp or recycled fibers. We have all heard of it, seen it in some of our local shops or on the web. But ethical fashion, also known as eco, green or sustainable fashion, can take many forms. Which means that fashion industry is (trying to be) both socially conscious and environmentally friendly. The challenge of sustainability is integrating human well-being and natural integrity.
Let's put it this way: Do you think that a 10€ garment covers all that? That is promoting safe, humane and ethical manufacturing around the world? Well, think again. 
I am not saying that a 100€ or a 1000€ garment would do that, but let's be honest when we see something that we like plus it's really cheap, it's like: "You're a fool not to buy it!" But in the end I think we are all fools, because we are hurting ourselves in the long run. We, consumers support all that goes behind in the industry.

That's why I chose not to do that anymore. And as a fashion designer I am giving you the opportunity to act differently too. Neon Rabbit items are locally made (most of it I do it myself), all T-shirts and longboard designs are printed in my home town and I pay full price for that, for longboards we use our local wood, we make them ourselves and now I finally got my hands on some new T-shirts (and I replaced some of the old ones) that have a clear background in manufacturing, workplace standards and environmental practices. Woohoo!


  






As Jennifer Barckley, Director, Brand Communications & Values at The Body Shop USA,stated "I inherently believe that the beauty of our clothing goes well beyond the cut of the cloth or the outer look and feel. If someone has been treated as "less than," abused or unfairly paid for his or her (animals included) personal investment in my shirt, skirt -- you name it -- then to me, it's not truly beautiful. I'm an advocate for true beauty -- in all, holistic aspects."

So what's a fashion-loving, ethically minded person to do? 
- Forget about cheap fashion. Clothing costs something to make. In fact, it costs a lot to make if the workers are fairly paid, the fabric is high quality and the design is good.
- Be informed about fabric quality and where the item is made.
- Check on line for eco fashion, it rocks!


Comments

  1. Well said .. I am blessed and so happy to have so Beautiful Soul - You as my daughter! I agree with the truth of your words here! God Bless you.. your mom <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said .. " Love All, Serve All. Help Ever, Hurt Never.” ... Sai Baba

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts