VEGAN FAUX LEATHER ROCKS!

I am not going to sit up on a high pedestal and scold you. You can make up your own mind about using leather, eating too much nacho cheese or whatever…

I don’t mind “bad” habits. In fact if they make you feel good, relaxed and happy, I don’t think they’re all that bad. Besides all of this “good” or “bad” stuff, all the “rights” and “wrongs” are based on one’s perspective.

Like hiking. That’s a really bad habit. All the stress over all those bugs, endless wandering and chatter. And it takes up soooo much of your time, just think about all the things you could do in that time! But no, people walk. For hours or worse, days! Highly irresponsible. For the view. During that time I can take a bike ride, read a book, learn a new recipe and cook lunch, walk my dogs, drink a beer and admire the view of fat girls in leggings.

Anyway our lives are based upon every day decisions. Therefore one very important criteria for making my every day decisions is NOT HURTING living beings or being an accomplice in such matters. In any way. And I bet most people agree with me. Well f… it then, do not use leather. There is no excuse for it then. By using leather you contribute to the leather industry and skinning live animals. Fact. Sorry.
But as I said before, if that is your decision, fine. Just don’t lie to yourself, say it out loud. “I don’t care, because I really like my leather bag.” Right after you do your morning yoga. There, done.
But don’t you think we all need to change a bit, try to be better humans? Spread some love. Maybe it’s not so bad. I am not saying to throw away your favourite leather jacket, just maybe next time you go shopping choose an alternative fabric.

That’s us, sending love. Happy animals – happy people.
Photo: Mihaela Majerhold-Ostrovršnik

As a fashion designer I have a responsibility. I provide goods. And there is no frikin way I will let my creativity contribute to pain and suffering. And for what? Accessories? Are you kidding me?! NEON RABBIT is an ethical fashion brand, my brand and my life. I embrace innovation and sustainable and ethical fashion, without compromising on quality and design. That’s why I chose to work with an alternative fabric. And it’s so awesome!

Still some people need more reasurance, so here we go, check my pros:
- Vegan leather makes you look good and it also makes you feel good because it’s cruelty-free.
- Most vegan leather is made of polyurethane and synthetic materials have come a long way since your basic PVC plastic.
- Vegan leather is tied to textile technology and scientists (including some of my faculty professors) will always be innovating ways to improve sustainability.
- Vegan or faux leather is very durable and will last a long time. It can withstand scratches and scrapes so there is no need to worry.
- Such materials can usually be wiped clean with a rag and warm water. Unlike genuine leather, it does not retain moisture and some are waterproof!

Share the love and may the force be with you!

Love, Irina

https://www.facebook.com/neonrabbit/

https://www.instagram.com/neonrabbitfab/

Comments

Popular Posts